First there was a Man. Then a Woman. Then in quick succession, two cats, a confused dog beast, and two kids. I stay at home with them. I'm the Man

Friday, December 11, 2009

A Chomemaker Man Chanukkah: Update

Tonight, on Chanukah eve, we celebrated with our Chanukah tradition.  We watched Fiddler on The Roof and ate Thai food.  That shit is straight from the Torah.  Chapter 11 page 436:

And G_D said, " Thai Food?  Sure, why not?"

Maybe that is not exactly what it says in the Torah.  I don't know.  As I've said before , I didn't get a whole lot of formal religious book learnin'.  I got my Judaism from the streets.  Back alley games of high stakes dreidel and red yarmulkes proudly displaying my gang colors.  I was a Bloodberg.

Love that movie, Fiddler On the Roof.  My family knows that if there is ever a community theatre within driving distance of our house auditioning for the part of Tevye, I'm there.  And I'm getting that part.  The theatre calls.

And for those who know the movie, you might wonder; did I get all misty-eyed at the part where Tevye denies his daughter Chava because she has decided to take up with a Polish gentile (Lord knows we've all been there.  The ol' Polish gentile trick.)?  Well, crying is for women and babies.  And I am a baby woman.

In closing, I am excited for Chanukah to start tomorrow.  I will light the candles and read the prayers from the Chanukah book I have which was written for 1st graders.  Then, the gambling will begin.  I am gonna spin that dreidel so good.  My wife and kids won't know what hit'em.  My pockets will be filled with chocolatey gelt by 4 pm tomorrow.  Don't cry, my little babies.  You come to spin the dreidel with me, biatches, you best come correct.

Challah!


Chomemaker Mensch

The gentile could be Russian.  I just know they went to Krakow.  That is all.

9 comments:

  1. Happy Chanukah (no idea what the correct sp is, total cut & paste) guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never cry at movies, except that one scene in Fiddler on the Roof. Gets me every time...

    And the community theater thing? I have never, ever been in any sort of a play (I mean, not since grade school, when I made a stunning debut as a bumblebee); but I was devastated the year (in my thirties) when I realized (belatedly) that I was too old to play one of the daughters. Apparently, I had been harboring that secret desire all along and hadn't even known it. Now I'm stuck with either Yenta or Golde.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Viv-Thank you. There is no correct spelling. Last year I spelled it Chxplsmzkj

    S.C.-My wife had a similar moment last night. She realized the person she identified with had changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay, I am in love with you. This was hilarious. Happy Hannukah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Chanukah!

    Fiddler on the Roof is one of my favorite movies. I think I've seen it so many times that I can recite right along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stumbled upon your blog, and found your sense of humor to be incredibly funny! I look forward to many more posts from you.

    Happy Hannukah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not just stumbled across your blog, but I'm still finding your blog funny.
    Happy Chanukah!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Rankings

Humor Blogs - Blog Rankings
Dad Blogs
Fatherhood Friday at Dad Blogs