First there was a Man. Then a Woman. Then in quick succession, two cats, a confused dog beast, and two kids. I stay at home with them. I'm the Man

Friday, January 15, 2010

how do I love thee, homemaker man UPDATE


Today, we watched an animated poetry sort of intro show for children that we dvr'd a long time ago when we still had the hbo.

It had kids reading and talking about poems and then animated interpretations of poems that were narrated by celebrities.

Tracy Morgan reads
Sonnet 18 .    I Sing the Body Electric as interpreted by Mr. T.

I wish, kind of.

how do I love thee was my daughter's favorite.  it had bunnies.  The Max and Ruby influence.   It was a mom bunny reading
how do I love thee to her baby.  We talked about what it meant.  She got very upset when it was over,  After she pulled herself together, she said this to me:

"how do I love you
I love your breath, honey
I love you in the sun
I love you with all the birdies, honey (there were birds in the cartoon)"

I am completely overcome.


XLIII. "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..."

by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)




How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.


Update:


I hear her in the play area.  She's repeating "how do I love you, how do I love you?  I love you so like sun,"  I smile.


She comes into the living room cradling a plastic purple car.  "This is Max," she tells me.  She then continues to whisper sweet ways of love into Max the car's non-existent ears.  Daddy balloon officially deflated.


9 comments:

  1. :) Love this. How beautiful!

    LIttle kids make me melt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is, indeed, a great poet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor daddy, she will love another eventually. Glad to have found your refreshing blog ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. B-Yeah, she's a killer sometimes.

    M-Thank you ;)

    S.C.-I knew you'd say that.

    NWLGITC- HI. Glad you found me too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, is your cat named after the King Lear character?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so freaking sweet!!! I really want to hug her right now :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe she's going to be a mechanic

    ReplyDelete

Blog Rankings

Humor Blogs - Blog Rankings
Dad Blogs
Fatherhood Friday at Dad Blogs